Subcontractor Mortgage
08000 306705
Subcontractor Mortgage Advice
08000 306705

Companies like CIS that specialise in self-employed mortgages often see clients that are not prepared for the application process, and most of them are not quite sure what paperwork they are supposed to provide or how much of a down payment they should have saved up. This can make a person’s dream of buying their own home now be postponed for a couple of years.

Here at CIS, we hate to see that happen. That’s why we recommend that self-employed individuals take the following steps to make sure that they are prepared to apply for their mortgage when they are ready to buy their own house.

Tax returns

When a person applies for a mortgage, they need to be able to provide proof of their income. This is to make sure that they are able to pay their monthly mortgage payments. When a person pays taxes, this will show their overall income, and how much their income is after business expenses are deducted.

Mortgage companies will look at how much income is left after business expenses are paid to make sure that you can pay the payments. Simply purchasing a filing cabinet to keep important paperwork in will make it easier to find these when you are ready to apply for a mortgage. After filing taxes every year, put a copy in a folder for easy access when application time comes.


In the same filing cabinet, keep your current contracts. Self-employed work may not be steady, so mortgage companies will want to see that you have steady work to guarantee that you can make the mortgage payments. Companies like CIS Mortgages do not want for you to wind up in a situation that will result in you losing your new house, and this is why they try to make sure that you will be able to make the payments.

Keep a separate folder in the filing cabinet to make sure that these are easy to get to when the application process comes. Even if you are not planning on buying a house for five years, being able to show a mortgage company that you have had five years of contracts will greatly increase your chances of being approved.

Other income

If there is income that is not done on a contract basis, it is important to keep track of that as well. For example, if a business owner frequently does odd jobs for the neighbours, this can also count as income if they are paid for it.

To keep track of this type of income, save receipts for every odd job, and request that the person sign the receipt. References that include people you have done odd jobs for is also a great idea. Simply put these in their own folder, and then they will be ready to go when you are ready to apply for a mortgage.

Unfortunately, self-employed individuals often have to go to greater lengths than other people to prove their income, but at CIS Mortgages we try to make the process as painless as possible. By keeping these three things in a filing cabinet, every applicant will be able to make their application process run more smoothly than ever before. Unlike other mortgage companies, this is usually all a person will need.

Your home may be repossessed if you do not keep up repayments on your mortgage
Opening Hours
09.00 - 5.00PM
09.00 - 5.00PM
09.00 - 5.00PM
09.00 - 5.00PM
09.00 - 5.00PM
Contact Us
The internet is not a secure medium and the privacy of your data cannot be guaranteed. Please tick the methods of communication you would be happy to receive:
To comply with data protection regulations (2018), we are unable to store and use your information unless you give us your permission. Please select Yes to allow this. View our data protection policy for details
The information on this website is for use of residents of the United Kingdom only subject to UK regulatory regime. No representations are made as to whether the information is applicable in any other country which may have access to it.
CIS Mortgage Advice is a trade name of Just Mortgages Direct Ltd which is an appointed representative of Openwork Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority
Just Mortgages Direct Limited Registered Office: Colwyn House, Sheepen Place, Colchester, Essex, C03 3LD. Registered in England No. 2412345

Website by Inspire Web Development